Tourism in the City
The 18 of January of 1535 the Spanish conqueror Francisco Pizarro and twelve of their companions, founded the city of Lima, in the most central and extensive valley of the coast of Peru, under a calm and calm sky, in the shores of the Rimac river, to two leguas of the sea and near a town of Indians governed by the Taulichusco cacique.
It was called to him, “City of the Kings”, name that, although was given more by religious reasons, today, contemplated to the distance of almost five centuries, seems like a prophetic revelation of the greatness to that there was to arrive the future virreynato.
Lima Plaza Mayor (Main Square)
Centre of the old colonial city. Around its edge are the Lima Cathedral, Government Palace and Provincial Municipal Authority of Lima. A highlight of the central part is a bronze fountain from the 17th century.
Cathedral of Lima
It occupies the site where the first major church in Lima once stood. It has an austere interior, although it is home to genuine historical treasures including the Baltasar Noguera choir stalls, several side altars and the remains of Francisco Pizarro. Tourists can also visit the Museum of Religious Art, which holds a significant collection of paintings, sculptures, chalices and chasubles.
Palace of Government
Residence of Francisco Pizarro (1535), who built it on the ground previously occupied by Taulichusco, chief of the Rímac valley. Since then, the site has been the centre of political power in Peru. The building was rebuilt in the 1920s after a fire. It has many courtyards and halls dedicated to important figures in Peruvian history which have been carefully decorated with outstanding works of art. Daily, at 11:45, the Patio de Honor (Honour Courtyard) is the setting for the changing of the guard under the responsibility of the glorious Battalion of the Hussars of Junín.
The Church and Convent of San Francisco
A 17th-century archaeological complex. It includes the church, convent and plaza. The main façade of the temple was built using stone and features Corinthian columns. The façade boasts an open cornice with arches in which the Immaculate Conception is depicted. The cloisters area, decorated with tiles, houses the Museum of Vice-Royalty Art. The catacombs (subterranean galleries), which served as a cemetery during the colonial era, can also be visited.
The General Cemetery Presbitero Matias Maestro
was inaugurated in 1808 and Manuel To Fuentes later writes it like “one of the best establishments of the Capital; its inner and outer aspect is most beautiful (…) Luxurious tablets and sumptuous marble monuments lock up the rest of people who enjoyed xxxx fortune or which they have occupied high positions in the Republic, such as generals Mar, Gamarra, Salaverry, Necochea, etc.
Parque de la Muralla (Park of the Wall)
Home to a restored fragment of the ancient wall that encircled Lima and which is believed to have been built in the 17th century to protect the city from pirates and attacks by enemies of the Spanish crown. The site contains the statue of the founder of Lima, Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro, as well as a museum exhibiting archaeological items discovered in the area.
Church and Convent of La Merced
The church of the Favor dates from century XVI. Nevertheless, the original structure had to be modified and to be reconstructed in century XVIII, since the earthquakes had caused serious damages in the construction of the temple. In the Favor, the art is shaped in the pictures of fabric the oil of the artist Victor Mideros, who emphasizes in them subjects of religious character. An English of black moon, fact in 1817 and installed clock in 1820, is located in the tower of the church. One of the infrastructures that have not modified its original appearance is claustro of the Favor, since it conserves the brickwork.
It was constructed on the portable altar of the curaca Taulichusco, main authority of the Valley of the Rimac. The house belonged to Hieronymite of Aliaga, that received the land of Francisco Pizarro. At the present time – perhaps in a unique case in Peru and in America the lot is inhabited by the descendants of the conqueror.
Museum of the Inquisition and Congress
It is home to numerous artifacts, as well as rooms in which the Inquisition process took place. Among these is the Courtroom, where members of the Court of the Inquisition met. Interesting features include the “Secret Door”, which led to the private chambers of the Grand Inquisitor; the Torture Chamber; the area of the secret dungeons with underground cells; and the Inquisition Library. Toward the front, occupying the space where the Caridad (Charity) church and monastery (16th century) previously stood, is the Congressional Palace of the Republic, built in the neoclassical style between 1912 and 1916 and which holds an extensive library.
San Pedro Church
Built in 1636, the church was inspired by the Jesuit mother church in Rome, with three naves. Unique in Lima due to its three entrances, a characteristic that is unique to cathedrals. It stands out due to its Churrigueresque altarpieces, and the space in the central naves feels full of paintings and tiles. Among the works of art that can be seen here, paintings from the Lima, Cusco and Quito schools are highlights, as are a series of golden carvings of some the founders of religious orders and a painting depicting the coronation of the Virgin by painter Bernardo Bitti.
Torre Tagle Palace
A two-storey building whose construction began in 1735 under the orders of the Marquis of Torre Tagle, treasurer of the Royal Spanish Armada. Considered to be one of the best examples of residential Lima architecture from the 18th century. Its carved wood balconies, the oratory in the Baroque style adorned with mirrors and colonial paintings and the entrance carefully carved in stone are interesting to see. It is currently the headquarters of the Foreign Affairs Office.
Santo Domingo Church and Convent
A church with three naves, in which the dome and a finely carved cedar choir stall are most impressive. The convent walls are decorated with Seville tiles and its chapter house features Baroque carvings. In 1551, the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos was founded in the convent, the first university that the Spanish crown created in the Americas.
Church and Monastery of Santa Rosa of Lima
This architectonic complex was built between centuries XVII and XVIII next to the house in which it was born Santa Rosa of Lima, Pattern of Lima, America and the Philippines. The sanctuary was finished constructing in 1728, but soon it was demolished in 1874 to construct a church there. In 1912, the Dominican ones again assumed the handling of the place, reconstructing the sanctuary towards 1923. At the present time, the complex is formed by the church and the sanctuary. The zone of the sanctuary is constituted by some original atmospheres in which Santa lived. It emphasizes the hermitage that she herself constructed, in 1614, to pray. In you even marinate still see the tracks of its fingers. Another attractive important one is the well of 19 ms of depth, in which it is said threw the key of the silicon that bordered its waist in penance signal. Finally, is the lemon tree planted by Santa. The celebration of Santa Rosa of Lima is celebrated the 30 of August.
Las Nazarenas Church
Built in the second half of the 18th century in the lands formerly belonging to the colonial Pachacamilla neighbourhood. The central part of the altar is formed by two ridged and gold-covered Tuscan pilasters, which support a Baroque façade. Inside the church, in the form of an urn, the image of Our Lord of Miracles can be found, painted in oil on a rough adobe wall. According to tradition, this image of Christ was painted by an African slave in the 17th century, and this was the only wall that remained standing after earthquakes in 1655, 1687 and 1746. Each October, there is a huge procession with a replica of the image, also known as the Purple Christ, through the streets of Lima.
Lima Art Museum
Located in the former Exhibition Palace (1869). Ceramic items, textiles and precious metalwork from pre-Hispanic cultures are exhibited here. It also houses the largest collection of Peruvian paintings and artworks.
Museum of Italian Art
Founded in 1924, building with the Florentine renascence architecture. Designed by the Milan Architect Gaetano Moretti. Donated by the Italian colony in Peru when being commemorated the centennial of the Independence of Peru. Sculptures, drawings, furniture and canvases of Italian art. Also diverse temporary exhibitions.
Parque de la Exposición (Exhibition Park)
It houses monuments that date back to the independence centenary celebrations, including the Pabellón Morisco (Moorish Pavilion), the Seismograph, the Chinese Fountain, the Botanical Garden and the Japanese Garden. It also offers spaces dedicated to entertainment and performance arts, including the Puppet Island, Open Theatre and La Cabaña Theatre.
Los Descalzos (The Discalced) Church and Convent
A convent founded at the end of the 16th century. It features calm and spacious rooms, which hold valuable paintings from the Lima, Cuzco and Quito schools.
Built in 1760 under the orders of Viceroy Amat y Juniet. Acho is the oldest bullring in the Americas and the third oldest in the world. It was completely refurbished in 1946. Inside the site is the Museo Taurino (Bullfighting Museum), which exhibits a collection of heirlooms including suits, capes, swords, crutches, posters and paintings by famous painters. In October, it is the setting for the Bullfighting Festival of the Señor de los Milagros (Lord of Miracles).
A tourism and hotel district, with large modern shopping areas, theatres, cinemas and art galleries. Its beautiful green areas are worth visiting, including Parque Kennedy, which hosts traditional handicraft workers, painters and folkloric music groups.
San Isidro District
Characterised by green areas and exclusive residential neighbourhoods, the traditional El Olivar area, which takes its names from the hundred-year-old olive trees in its parks, is worth a visit. It is a tourism and business centre, with modern buildings, hotels, restaurants and business centres.
Parque de las Leyendas Zoo (Park of Legends Zoo)
Home to mammal, bird, reptile, fish and amphibian species, distributed according to Peru’s natural regions: coast, mountain and jungle. It offers services including restaurants, cafeterias and picnic areas.
A former beach resort, where Lima’s aristocracy gathered at the start of the 20th century. It is the main bohemian neighbourhood in Lima, with cosy mansions and corners that offer musical and cultural shows, as well as clubs, pubs and cafés.
Municipal Park (Barranco)
Opened on 3rd February, 1898. Carrara marble statues can be enjoyed, including “La Danaide”, Venus or Nymph. The Library and Church of the Holy Cross are nearby.
Santiago de Surco District
It still preserves examples of its historic and cultural heritage. The historic centre is worth a visit, and its gastronomical and wine-making tradition is a highlight. The Harvest Festival is held annually in the area.
Parque de la Amistad (Friendship Park) (Santiago de Surco)
It boasts a traditional mountain train station and an original 1926 steam engine with 3 carriages for touring several areas of the park. The site also has a navigable artificial lagoon and a 29-metre high Moorish arch.
A traditional district that preserves attractive mansions from the beginning of the Republic era. Famous for its beaches and resorts, including the Herradura (Horseshoe), which is much visited during summer. It is home to the historic Morro Solar Hill, the setting of important episodes during the War with Chile, with an unparalleled panoramic view of the coast and excellent restaurants.